Discover Boating – the nation’s resource for recreational boaters – is advising all boaters, particularly the influx of new boaters, to keep safety top of mind before anchoring aweigh.
Here are 10 essential tips for boaters to stay safe on the water (source: Discover Boating):
1. Take a course on boating
2. Do not leave the dock without reviewing a pre-departure checklist (printout available at DiscoverBoating.com)
3. Only boat with those in your immediate household or quarantine circle
4. Wear a face mask and distance yourself when entering or exiting marinas, dockside restaurants, boat ramps and fuel pumps
5. Do not raft up your boat with other boats or pull up onto a beach close to another boat
6. Plan ahead: check the status of your destination before you go (public water access map at DiscoverBoating.com)
7. If renting or part of a boat club, check out the procedures & protocols set forth by those businesses to ensure CDC guidelines for COVID are being met
8. Make proper use of life jackets
9. Monitor the weather forecast
10. Designate a sober skipper
Visit DiscoverBoating.com for more safe boating guidelines and tips for safe social distancing while boating during the pandemic.